Tiny, terrified orangutan baby is plucked to safety after he and his mother were found starving
Wide-eyed in fright, a baby orangutan tries his best to escape the clutches of a looming man, the Daily Mail reports.
He and his mother have been threatened with starvation by the expansion of palm oil plantations which are destroying their natural habitat in the Sumatran forest.
It's no surprise the sight of yet more humans has terrified them, but these ones have arrived to take them to safety.
The pair were found by rescuers in an isolated patch of woodland which was due to be cleared for more plantations.
More orangutans are being cut off, putting them at risk of food shortages or being captured for the pet trade.
Hanna Adcock was making a film for the UK charity Orangutan SOS when their partner organisation, the Orangutan Information Centre’s Human Orangutan Conflict Response Unit attempted the relocation in Aceh, North Sumatra.
She said: 'The safest way to save these animals is to tranquilize them and relocated them to a safe area.
'In this instance, the team first had to track and find the orangutan and move them to safer, less-dense area in order to be tranquilised.
'The team make noises to try and steer the orangutan into their desired location and there were spotters on the ground and up in the hills in order to ensure that we didn’t lose her.'
When the team finally got the chance, they shot the mother with a tranquiliser gun, but it took little effect so they had to wait until she tired enough to hit her again, this time with a blow pipe.
Hanna said: 'The mother was aggressive and struggled to hold on with everything she could as she grew weaker in the tree.
'As she was carrying a young male baby, the team believed she resisted falling and letting go even more as she thought that the fall would kill the baby.
'Eventually, the struggle was too much for the mother and she fell into the net.'
Medics made sure they had not suffered any spinal injuries or broken bones, but found two air rifle bullets under the mother's skin.
As the mother lay flat out on the ground, the baby cried out.
Once it was deemed safe, they taken off in 4x4 vehicles to a protected national park, where once the mother had come to, they were released.
- 22:34New opinion poll on election preferences presented by sociologists from KOG institute and Demokratijos projektai
- 12:43How is it possible that the side which is in defensive positions will have losses in the neutral zone?
- 16:44Representative of Human Rights Defender Urgently Departs for Chinari Village, Tavush, in Regards to the Sabotage Infiltration
- 22:36Grand opening of Multi Wellness Center
- 18:00First time in Armenia: expensive and high quality natural stones from Shri Lanka
- 18:32New investments and workplaces. Opening ceremony of BMW, Mini & Rolls Royсe exhibition hall (photo, video)
- 10:11Nagorno-Karabakh contract servicaman wounded by Azerbaijani bullet
- 10:10Nagorno-Karabakh reports more Azerbaijani ceasefire violations
- 09:54Yerevan hostage stand-off: Tensions erupt into violence as crowd clashes with police (video)
- 15:16Yerevan hostage stand-off: National Security Service continues surveillance
- 12:46Tankian: In Armenia we need to figure out a way out of the post Soviet corrupt hierarchy that has ruined the country since its independence
- 11:18US condemns violence to effect political change in Armenia – Department of State
- 09:58Azerbaijan violates the ceasefire 22 times
- 12:05Yerevan hostage stand-off enters into third day
- 09:48Nagorno-Karabakh reports more Azerbaijani ceasefire violations
- 15:45Azerbaijan violates the ceasefire 26 times
- 15:28Armed confrontation in Armenia’s capital immediate threat to society – National Security Service
- 14:10Armenian woman reported killed in Nice terror attack
- 10:19Nagorno-Karabakh reports 27 ceasefire violations
- 12:17Situation remained relatively peaceful
- 17:23Russian military base training main phase begins in Armenia
- 14:26Azerbaijan performs training flights near the Line of Contact
- 12:1226 violations of ceasefire: Azerbaijan uses mortars
- 15:06Earthquake hits Georgia-Armenia border
- 12:16Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations
- 12:06Fire damages building of Armenia’s Ministry of Finance
- 14:23Azerbaijan shoots sporadic fire along Karabakh frontline
- 09:36Azerbaijan does not conceal desire to take over Nagorno-Karabakh – presidential spokesman
- 10:58Armenian President to leave for Warsaw
- 11:13Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative calm on frontline
- 15:28OSCE MG hopes to hold meeting of Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents in near future
- 11:53Today marks 21st anniversary of Armenia’s Constitution
- 15:14Soldier’s body found in Armenia’s Tavush
- 11:20Situation at Line of Contact remains relatively peaceful
- 11:23Situation at Line of Contact remains relatively peaceful
- 10:20The rival fired irregular shots
- 10:29Azerbaijan shoots Karabakh defense posts from machine guns
- 10:50Relative calm of Line of Contact
- 10:20Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative peace on frontline
- 14:51Azerbaijan shoots Karabakh defense posts from grenade launchers
- 15:27Situation calm on Line of Contact
- 11:50Putin to discuss Nagorno-Karabakh settlement with Armenian, Azerbaijani leaders
- 10:00Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations
- 10:20Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative peace on frontline
- 10:55Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative peace on frontline
- 11:03Nagorno-Karabakh reports more Azerbaijani ceasefire violations
- 09:53Nagorno-Karabakh reports ceasefire violations on frontline
- 14:39Admission to welcome ceremony of Pope Francis to be free
- 10:16Situation relatively calm on Line of Contact
- 10:17River sweeps away man as hydropower plant strongholds collapse in Armenian town
- 09:38Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative calm on frontline
- 09:44No shootings fired along Nagorno-Karabakh frontline
- 15:03Russia’s active stance on Karabakh peace stems from strategic alliance – official
- 10:01Nagorno-Kaarabakh reports relative peace on frontline
- 10:36Situation calm along Nagorno-Karabakh frontline
- 09:29Nagorno-Karabakh reports more Azerbaijani ceasefire violations on frontline
- 15:47Heavy blast hits tax inspection in Armenia’s Vanadzor
- 10:26Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative peace on frontline
- 13:10Turkish professor calls for apologizing to Armenians
- 10:42Armenians killed in Aleppo fighting
- 10:16Situation relatively calm along Nagorno-Karabakh frontline
- 14:24Nagorno-Karabakh reports soldier’s sudden death
- 11:31Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative peace on frontline
- 10:57Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative peace along frontline
- 10:24Situation remains calm on Line of Contact
- 17:21Negotiations may be resumed if Azerbaijan honors Vienna agreements - Armenian FM
- 13:56Armenian soldier reported dead in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10:21Nagorno-Karabakh reports intensive Azerbaijani ceasefire violations
- 10:46Situation calm along Armenian-Azerbaijani border
- 09:47Nagorno-Karabakh reports no violation of ceasefire along frontline
- 10:41Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations
- 14:06Shootings down along Nagorno-Karabakh borders – Armenian defense minister
- 09:40Azerbaijan keeps violating truce along Karabakh frontline
- 10:45Azerbaijan keeps violating truce along Karabakh frontline
- 09:45Russia ready to further help settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict – Dmitry Medvedev
- 09:13An Illuminating Cross on the top of Biblical Ararat messaging to the World and photographed from Yerevan - Armenia
- 14:41Negotiations on, artillery silent – Armenian MP
- 09:51Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations
- 11:01Situation relatively calm on Line of Contact
- 14:38Azerbaijan keeps on hindering implementation of reached agreements – Armenian FM
- 10:06Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations
- 15:15Escalating tension Azerbaijan’s common style ahead of high-ranking meetings – Nagorno-Karabakh official
- 10:05Armenian soldier killed in Azerbaijani commando raid in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 14:35Nagorno-Karabakh recognition bill not on Armenian parliament’s agenda
- 10:41Situation relatively calm of Line of Contact last night
- 13:03Tension on Karabakh frontline on height as Azerbaijan uses anti-aircraft guns
- 14:56Azerbaijani troops opens fire at Armenian posts
- 10:01Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations
- 15:08OSCE Minsk Group: Time has come for Armenia and Azerbaijan presidents to meet
- 09:51Armenian serviceman killed by Azerbaijani bullet in Nagorno-Karabkakh
- 13:24Armenia will recognize Nagorno-Karabakh when moment arrives – prime minister
- 10:47Azerbaijan keeps Karabakh frontline under fire
- 16:15Armenian FM briefs EU envoy on devastations in Karabakh
- 15:31Yerevan lists the conditions for continuing negotiations
- 11:46Azerbaijani troops open fire at Armenia positions
- 11:03OSCE Monitoring to be Conducted
- 09:38Azerbaijan continued ceasefire violations
- 14:06Azerbaijani forces open sporadic fire at Armenian positions
- 11:37Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations
- 11:10Azerbaijan shells Nagorno-Karabakh defense posts from mine launchers