- Viewed 49 times.Thousands Protest in Armenian Capital Amid Economic Hardship
- Viewed 34 times.Hovik Abrahamyan explains why it was necessary to increase electricity tariff
- Viewed 31 times.Armenia: 'Electric Yerevan' protest continues as Russian propaganda blames US
- Viewed 27 times.Serj Tankian urged international media not to politicize Armenia’s events
- Viewed 26 times.Armenian protests: Thousands rally against energy price hike
- Viewed 25 times.Protestors turned down offer to move to Freedom Square
- Viewed 24 times.'Armenia is not a new Maidan. Please don't make it one'
- Viewed 22 times.Government to ease energy tariff rise effects to socially needy families
- Viewed 22 times.Armenia’s Chief of Police visits Baghramyan Avenue
- Viewed 22 times.Protestors install parasols, police geid grillages on Baghramian Avenue: further steps unclear
- Viewed 21 times.Kremlin Fears a Revolution in Armenia
- Viewed 20 times.France beheading attack: 'Man decapitated' near Lyon
- Viewed 20 times.Human Rights Watch urges to investigate actions of Police in Baghramyan Avenue
- Viewed 13 times.Mass Protests in Armenia Trace Their Inspiration to…Kim Kardashian
- Viewed 13 times.Tunisia attack: deadly shooting in front of tourist beach hotel - latest
Tiny, terrified orangutan baby is plucked to safety after he and his mother were found starving
Wide-eyed in fright, a baby orangutan tries his best to escape the clutches of a looming man, the Daily Mail reports.
He and his mother have been threatened with starvation by the expansion of palm oil plantations which are destroying their natural habitat in the Sumatran forest.
It's no surprise the sight of yet more humans has terrified them, but these ones have arrived to take them to safety.
The pair were found by rescuers in an isolated patch of woodland which was due to be cleared for more plantations.
More orangutans are being cut off, putting them at risk of food shortages or being captured for the pet trade.
Hanna Adcock was making a film for the UK charity Orangutan SOS when their partner organisation, the Orangutan Information Centre’s Human Orangutan Conflict Response Unit attempted the relocation in Aceh, North Sumatra.
She said: 'The safest way to save these animals is to tranquilize them and relocated them to a safe area.
'In this instance, the team first had to track and find the orangutan and move them to safer, less-dense area in order to be tranquilised.
'The team make noises to try and steer the orangutan into their desired location and there were spotters on the ground and up in the hills in order to ensure that we didn’t lose her.'
When the team finally got the chance, they shot the mother with a tranquiliser gun, but it took little effect so they had to wait until she tired enough to hit her again, this time with a blow pipe.
Hanna said: 'The mother was aggressive and struggled to hold on with everything she could as she grew weaker in the tree.
'As she was carrying a young male baby, the team believed she resisted falling and letting go even more as she thought that the fall would kill the baby.
'Eventually, the struggle was too much for the mother and she fell into the net.'
Medics made sure they had not suffered any spinal injuries or broken bones, but found two air rifle bullets under the mother's skin.
As the mother lay flat out on the ground, the baby cried out.
Once it was deemed safe, they taken off in 4x4 vehicles to a protected national park, where once the mother had come to, they were released.
- 16:04Free eye care services being rendered to inhabitants of Lori region thanks to the joint initiative of Armenian Eye Care Project and Orange Foundation
- 15:26Electricity tariff to be subsidized by extra-budget means. Armenia’s Prime Minister
- 14:15Turmoil isn’t appropriate for our country, we should go our way with peace: Armenia’s Chief of Police
- 10:20Statement Of The Armenian Bar Association Concerning Certain Events On Protests In Yerevan
- 16:54Inter RAO denies information about sale of ENA
- 15:25Kim Jong Un EXECUTES new airport architect - because he didn't like the design
- 13:57Armenia’s Defense Minister visits Nakhchivan part of Armenian-Azerbaijani border
- 12:13Mass Protests in Armenia Trace Their Inspiration to…Kim Kardashian
- 16:21US Supreme Court rules gay marriage is legal nationwide
- 15:49Joshua Kucera: as Protests Continue In Yerevan, Russia Concedes To Armenia On Soldier Murder Case
- 15:20Tunisia launches security clampdown after Sousse attack
- 15:09Armenia draws attention of Minsk Group to Azerbaijan’s destabilizing conduct
- 16:17Tunisia attack: deadly shooting in front of tourist beach hotel - latest
- 15:10Armenia: 'Electric Yerevan' protest continues as Russian propaganda blames US
- 14:43France beheading attack: 'Man decapitated' near Lyon
- 13:04Kremlin Fears a Revolution in Armenia
- 12:04'Armenia is not a new Maidan. Please don't make it one'
- 11:16500 Syrian-Armenians arrive in Armenia in recent months
- 16:40Hovik Abrahamyan explains why it was necessary to increase electricity tariff
- 15:44Human Rights Watch urges to investigate actions of Police in Baghramyan Avenue
- 13:31Government to ease energy tariff rise effects to socially needy families
- 11:11Armenia’s Chief of Police visits Baghramyan Avenue
- 17:10Thousands Protest in Armenian Capital Amid Economic Hardship
- 15:31Protestors install parasols, police geid grillages on Baghramian Avenue: further steps unclear
- 14:30Serj Tankian urged international media not to politicize Armenia’s events
- 12:15Protestors turned down offer to move to Freedom Square
- 11:38Armenian protests: Thousands rally against energy price hike
- 10:42US 'spied on French presidents' - Wikileaks
- 17:12Ban Ki-moon admonishes to resolve Nagorno-Karabakh conflict peacefully
- 15:54Extraordinary moment a City worker was filmed snorting cocaine on the Tube before telling shocked passengers: 'I just like taking it'
- 15:26Affordable holidays may be organized in Armenian hotels: tourism expert
- 12:47Serj Tankian responding to the protestors' sit-down strike in Yerevan
- 11:42Ukraine crisis: Yanukovych regrets bloodshed in Kiev
- 10:58237 citizens detained by police
- 17:30Armenian-Iranian railway will help Armenia mitigate consequences of Turkish- Azerbaijani blockade
- 17:00Staphylococcus found in milk powder, imported from Ukraine
- 16:35Is this Kanye West's most bizarre interview? Rapper asks to be called 'maid' and compares album to vegetables
- 15:02American Armenian doctor proposes a new method of breast surgery
- 13:58Britain's fattest man dead: Carl Thompson dies aged 33 only weeks after pleading for help on live TV
- 13:25European Games: Armenian sambo wrestler reaches semifinals
- 12:37Israeli politician's wife apologizes for Obama 'joke'
- 11:47Pope slams great powers over Armenian Genocide
- 10:44Kim Kardashian announces gender of second baby
- 10:34Apple Reverses Policy After Taylor Swift Open Letter
- 16:56Armenian Youth Federation To Hold Demonstration At Azerbaijani Consulate
- 16:43Prime Minister Stephen Harper meets with members of the Armenian community in Toronto
- 15:34Azerbaijan violated ceasefire regime for 150 times in a week
- 13:31These are young England football stars in their training camp. Look carefully and ask yourself... What do these photos tell us about race in Britain today?
- 11:13Armenian issue is Turkey’s internal policy problem
- 10:28Charleston shootings: Obama condemns 'blight' of racism
- 17:45NATO supports OSCE Minsk Group
- 17:30'The beginning of the end of the eurozone': Greek PM predicts his nation's 'Grexit' will cause the COLLAPSE of Europe's currency
- 17:10Schengen visa recipients’ biometric data to be recorded in central database in Armenia
- 16:36Russian fury at Belgium asset seizure in Yukos oil case
- 15:06‘Hawaii’s Got Nothing on Azerbaijan!’ Say Paid Stooges A propaganda campaign to drum up support for the Olympic European Games is fuel for memes
- 12:24World's oldest person dies at 116
- 11:30Prime Minister of Belgium recognizes Armenian Genocide on behalf of government
- 11:04The most hated man in America, 21, smirks as he is hauled away in cuffs and a bullet-proof vest after his arrest 'for shooting nine people dead at South Carolina church bible study'
- 17:58Pianist Tigran Hamasyan supports those who suffered from Georgia flooding
- 17:26'Romanian' child-snatchers are caught trying to kidnap British children at Cyprus hotel by luring them into cars while disguised as waiters
- 16:35Closed Armenian-Turkish border on NATO PA Rose-Roth seminar agenda
- 15:48Mark Zuckerberg gives $5 million to undocumented immigrant college fund
- 15:18Armenia may get extra forces from CSTO in case of Karabakh conflict escalation: Bordyuzha
- 13:29US balcony collapse: Water damage investigated
- 12:46Armenia’s Matenadaran to restore 11 large manuscripts in 2015
- 12:25US says woman will appear on new $10 note
- 11:34KFC customer 'finds fried rat' in meal
- 10:50Split! Charlize Theron 'calls off her engagement to Sean Penn after spending time together in Europe'
- 10:22South Carolina church shooting: Nine killed in Charleston
- 16:16Another special offer from Orange to Internet customers
- 16:08IS states it wants to destabilize situation in CIS — Russian Federal Security Service
- 15:46OSCE monitoring at Omar Pass held without violations
- 14:58Georgia floods: Escaped tiger 'kills man'
- 14:20Electricity tariff increased by AMD 6,93 in Armenia
- 12:385 Amazing Facts About Kirk Kerkorian
- 12:15Levon Aronian lost in Stavanger Tournament
- 11:25ECHR satisfies “Sargsyan v. Azerbaijan” claim
- 11:05Armenian Wins Gold at Baku Games
- 10:20Kirk Kerkorian Passes Away at 98
- 17:31OSCE to conduct monitoring at Omar pass
- 16:53Turkish Consul General to Lyon Attacks Armenian Activists
- 16:4910-year-old dies after riding roller coaster at Six Flags park in California
- 17:30Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is effortlessly chic in white crochet top and jeans while furniture shopping with beau Jason Statham
- 16:53DPR Defense Ministry: Ukraine violates ceasefire 36 times over past day
- 15:52Ideas of patriotism in Russia strong - Putin
- 14:47ANCA to apply to U.S. Senate for financial aid to Armenia and Karabakh
- 12:30Feline arty! Artist loves her pet cat so much she's added it to works by Botticelli, Dali and even the Mona Lisa
- 12:07Dramatic moment schoolboy, 14, was arrested after supply teacher was stabbed in classroom 'in row over a mobile phone`
- 11:40he agony of Alzheimer's: Photographer's harrowing images document his father's struggle - from active grandad to a man who could no longer remember his son's name
- 18:30Lady in red: Kendall Jenner models a plunging scarlet suit in stunning new perfume campaign for Estee Lauder
- 17:06PM insists Ukraine’s debt before private creditors should be restructured
- 16:03Cuba against West’s anti-Russian sanctions, says top official
- 14:01Kindergarten, hospital damaged in Donetsk shelling — local administration
- 13:40Germany 1-2 USA: Americans claim another impressive scalp after Bobby Wood comes on to score winner against world champions
- 13:32'I think they were following me': Emma Watson teams up with Ethan Hawke as she plays an abused daughter in the haunting official trailer for new thriller Regression
- 12:10Serviceman died in Karabakh
- 17:41James Warlick arrives in capital Yerevan
- 14:26IOC approves four new events for 2018 Winter Olympics
- 14:24G7 turns into 'talking shop' for West leaders — British expert
- 14:22First line of Turkish Stream may cost €3.3 billion — Gazprom