- Viewed 34 times.Azerbaijan shoots Karabakh defense posts from grenade launchers
- Viewed 25 times.Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations
- Viewed 22 times.Situation calm on Line of Contact
- Viewed 15 times.Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative peace on frontline
- Viewed 12 times.Putin to discuss Nagorno-Karabakh settlement with Armenian, Azerbaijani leaders
- Viewed 10 times.Relative calm of Line of Contact
Tiny, terrified orangutan baby is plucked to safety after he and his mother were found starving
Wide-eyed in fright, a baby orangutan tries his best to escape the clutches of a looming man, the Daily Mail reports.
He and his mother have been threatened with starvation by the expansion of palm oil plantations which are destroying their natural habitat in the Sumatran forest.
It's no surprise the sight of yet more humans has terrified them, but these ones have arrived to take them to safety.
The pair were found by rescuers in an isolated patch of woodland which was due to be cleared for more plantations.
More orangutans are being cut off, putting them at risk of food shortages or being captured for the pet trade.
Hanna Adcock was making a film for the UK charity Orangutan SOS when their partner organisation, the Orangutan Information Centre’s Human Orangutan Conflict Response Unit attempted the relocation in Aceh, North Sumatra.
She said: 'The safest way to save these animals is to tranquilize them and relocated them to a safe area.
'In this instance, the team first had to track and find the orangutan and move them to safer, less-dense area in order to be tranquilised.
'The team make noises to try and steer the orangutan into their desired location and there were spotters on the ground and up in the hills in order to ensure that we didn’t lose her.'
When the team finally got the chance, they shot the mother with a tranquiliser gun, but it took little effect so they had to wait until she tired enough to hit her again, this time with a blow pipe.
Hanna said: 'The mother was aggressive and struggled to hold on with everything she could as she grew weaker in the tree.
'As she was carrying a young male baby, the team believed she resisted falling and letting go even more as she thought that the fall would kill the baby.
'Eventually, the struggle was too much for the mother and she fell into the net.'
Medics made sure they had not suffered any spinal injuries or broken bones, but found two air rifle bullets under the mother's skin.
As the mother lay flat out on the ground, the baby cried out.
Once it was deemed safe, they taken off in 4x4 vehicles to a protected national park, where once the mother had come to, they were released.
- 10:50Relative calm of Line of Contact
- 10:20Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative peace on frontline
- 14:51Azerbaijan shoots Karabakh defense posts from grenade launchers
- 15:27Situation calm on Line of Contact
- 11:50Putin to discuss Nagorno-Karabakh settlement with Armenian, Azerbaijani leaders
- 10:00Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations
- 10:20Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative peace on frontline
- 10:55Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative peace on frontline
- 11:03Nagorno-Karabakh reports more Azerbaijani ceasefire violations
- 09:53Nagorno-Karabakh reports ceasefire violations on frontline
- 14:39Admission to welcome ceremony of Pope Francis to be free
- 10:16Situation relatively calm on Line of Contact
- 10:17River sweeps away man as hydropower plant strongholds collapse in Armenian town
- 09:38Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative calm on frontline
- 09:44No shootings fired along Nagorno-Karabakh frontline
- 15:03Russia’s active stance on Karabakh peace stems from strategic alliance – official
- 10:01Nagorno-Kaarabakh reports relative peace on frontline
- 10:36Situation calm along Nagorno-Karabakh frontline
- 09:29Nagorno-Karabakh reports more Azerbaijani ceasefire violations on frontline
- 15:47Heavy blast hits tax inspection in Armenia’s Vanadzor
- 10:26Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative peace on frontline
- 13:10Turkish professor calls for apologizing to Armenians
- 10:42Armenians killed in Aleppo fighting
- 10:16Situation relatively calm along Nagorno-Karabakh frontline
- 14:24Nagorno-Karabakh reports soldier’s sudden death
- 11:31Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative peace on frontline
- 10:57Nagorno-Karabakh reports relative peace along frontline
- 10:24Situation remains calm on Line of Contact
- 17:21Negotiations may be resumed if Azerbaijan honors Vienna agreements - Armenian FM
- 13:56Armenian soldier reported dead in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10:21Nagorno-Karabakh reports intensive Azerbaijani ceasefire violations
- 10:46Situation calm along Armenian-Azerbaijani border
- 09:47Nagorno-Karabakh reports no violation of ceasefire along frontline
- 10:41Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations
- 14:06Shootings down along Nagorno-Karabakh borders – Armenian defense minister
- 09:40Azerbaijan keeps violating truce along Karabakh frontline
- 10:45Azerbaijan keeps violating truce along Karabakh frontline
- 09:45Russia ready to further help settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict – Dmitry Medvedev
- 09:13An Illuminating Cross on the top of Biblical Ararat messaging to the World and photographed from Yerevan - Armenia
- 14:41Negotiations on, artillery silent – Armenian MP
- 09:51Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations
- 11:01Situation relatively calm on Line of Contact
- 14:38Azerbaijan keeps on hindering implementation of reached agreements – Armenian FM
- 10:06Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations
- 15:15Escalating tension Azerbaijan’s common style ahead of high-ranking meetings – Nagorno-Karabakh official
- 10:05Armenian soldier killed in Azerbaijani commando raid in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 14:35Nagorno-Karabakh recognition bill not on Armenian parliament’s agenda
- 10:41Situation relatively calm of Line of Contact last night
- 13:03Tension on Karabakh frontline on height as Azerbaijan uses anti-aircraft guns
- 14:56Azerbaijani troops opens fire at Armenian posts
- 10:01Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations
- 15:08OSCE Minsk Group: Time has come for Armenia and Azerbaijan presidents to meet
- 09:51Armenian serviceman killed by Azerbaijani bullet in Nagorno-Karabkakh
- 13:24Armenia will recognize Nagorno-Karabakh when moment arrives – prime minister
- 10:47Azerbaijan keeps Karabakh frontline under fire
- 16:15Armenian FM briefs EU envoy on devastations in Karabakh
- 15:31Yerevan lists the conditions for continuing negotiations
- 11:46Azerbaijani troops open fire at Armenia positions
- 11:03OSCE Monitoring to be Conducted
- 09:38Azerbaijan continued ceasefire violations
- 14:06Azerbaijani forces open sporadic fire at Armenian positions
- 11:37Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations
- 11:10Azerbaijan shells Nagorno-Karabakh defense posts from mine launchers
- 13:35Azerbaijan keeps Armenian border under irregular fire
- 09:44Azerbaijan shells Nagorno-Karbaakh defense posts from heavy launchers
- 10:59Azerbaijan's armed troops snipe at Armenian defense positions
- 09:36Azerbaijan shells Nagorno-Karabakh defense posts from heavy launchers
- 17:30Azerbaijan preparing ground for more violence – Armenian Foreign Minister
- 14:56Recognition of Nagorno-Karabakh by Armenia to change plane of conflict – Alexander Margarov
- 10:15Tension on Line of Contact
- 16:55OSCE PA President gets acquainted with the results of Baku's aggression
- 15:20Armenian government to discuss draft law on recognition of NKR
- 14:50We have weapons “many dream about”, says Armenian Defense Ministry
- 13:57Bako Sahakyan and Levon Ter-Petrosyan hold a meeting
- 10:34Nagorno-Karabakh reports more tension along Line of Contact
- 14:54Azerbaijani troops, military equipment bunch up along Line of Contact
- 10:51Nagorno-Karabakh reports more fatalities as ceasefire violations continue
- 14:15Vandals destroy stone cross at Scottsdale Armenian church
- 11:14Azerbaijan keeps violating truce along Armenia’s border
- 09:38Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations along Nagorno-Karabakh frontline
- 15:26Defense Army publishes video of Mataghis shelling
- 11:38Yerevan is ready to negotiate after Baku is called to orde
- 10:29THE ARMENIAN GENOCIDE.Money talks, and right now it's talking shit.Kim Kardashyan
- 09:53Azerbaijan keeps shelling Nagorno-Karabakh defense posts
- 16:07Second victim in Yerevan bus blast identified
- 14:31Levon Mnatsakanyan: If the war resumes, we will advance ourselves
- 11:54Turkish politician apologizes to Armenians for Genocide
- 10:26Azerbaijan keeps Nagorno-Karabakh frontline under heavy fire; fatality reported
- 15:20Suspect in Yerevan bus blast plotted attack against relatives - Investigative Committee
- 15:10Yerevan bus blast: field investigators find trotyl, SIM card at scene, owner identified
- 15:07Defense Deputy Minister and Heads of General Staff departments are dismissed
- 11:21Nagorno-Karabakh reports deadly ceasefire violations
- 10:002 killed, 6 injured in rare bus blast in Armenia’s capital
- 10:35Azerbaijan continues disseminating disinformation
- 11:15Azerbaijan continues ceasefire violations
- 10:54Yerevan hosts Aurora Dialogues
- 10:24Azerbaijan commits more intensive ceasefire violations on Karabakh frontline
- 14:52Nagorno-Karabakh reports 70 Azerbaijani ceasefire violations
- 10:40Armenian soldier fatally wounded by Azerbaijani bullet in Nagorno-Karabakh
- 10:23Nagorno-Karabakh reports more Azerbaijani ceasefire violations