Tiny, terrified orangutan baby is plucked to safety after he and his mother were found starving
Wide-eyed in fright, a baby orangutan tries his best to escape the clutches of a looming man, the Daily Mail reports.
He and his mother have been threatened with starvation by the expansion of palm oil plantations which are destroying their natural habitat in the Sumatran forest.
It's no surprise the sight of yet more humans has terrified them, but these ones have arrived to take them to safety.
The pair were found by rescuers in an isolated patch of woodland which was due to be cleared for more plantations.
More orangutans are being cut off, putting them at risk of food shortages or being captured for the pet trade.
Hanna Adcock was making a film for the UK charity Orangutan SOS when their partner organisation, the Orangutan Information Centre’s Human Orangutan Conflict Response Unit attempted the relocation in Aceh, North Sumatra.
She said: 'The safest way to save these animals is to tranquilize them and relocated them to a safe area.
'In this instance, the team first had to track and find the orangutan and move them to safer, less-dense area in order to be tranquilised.
'The team make noises to try and steer the orangutan into their desired location and there were spotters on the ground and up in the hills in order to ensure that we didn’t lose her.'
When the team finally got the chance, they shot the mother with a tranquiliser gun, but it took little effect so they had to wait until she tired enough to hit her again, this time with a blow pipe.
Hanna said: 'The mother was aggressive and struggled to hold on with everything she could as she grew weaker in the tree.
'As she was carrying a young male baby, the team believed she resisted falling and letting go even more as she thought that the fall would kill the baby.
'Eventually, the struggle was too much for the mother and she fell into the net.'
Medics made sure they had not suffered any spinal injuries or broken bones, but found two air rifle bullets under the mother's skin.
As the mother lay flat out on the ground, the baby cried out.
Once it was deemed safe, they taken off in 4x4 vehicles to a protected national park, where once the mother had come to, they were released.
- 13:06President Serzh Sargsyan congratulates oncologist Hayrapet Galstyan on 75th birth anniversary
- 10:04Culture and literature are the age-old symbols of our nation. Serzh Sargsyan
- 17:459 Ukrainian soldiers dead in street clashes in Donetsk region — Interior Ministry
- 14:47The boy with the TWO STONE hands that are bigger than his head: Indian doctors baffled after eight-year-old's fingers swell to giant proportions
- 13:50Mother of slaughtered American calls on Islamist group to cease killing and pays tribute to her 'extraordinary son'
- 09:02What WAS this bright circle of lights over Houston? Bright, oval UFO photographed hovering above city's stormy skies
- 21:47Murder probe as illegal immigrants found in shipping container: One dead and 35 in hospital with 'dehydration and hypothermia' after shock discovery at Tilbury Docks
- 21:42Danielle O'Hara snuggles with best pal during sleepover as she continues to seek solace in family and friends
- 21:33ICRC may take under its jurisdiction aid convoy in Ukraine’s territory
- 21:30Pierre Richard wants to visit Russia again
- 21:25Tickets on sale as world's highest railroad opens new Tibet track
- 21:23Chinese president declares Youth Olympic Games open
- 21:20Western sanctions not to affect int’l cooperation on Sukhoi SuperJet
- 21:11Ukraine begins search for missing Russian journalist Stenin
- 21:08Moscow urges quicker procedures to deliver humanitarian aid to Donbass as soon as possible
- 20:58Armenia occupies 2nd place in Tank Biathlon 2014
- 00:17Ebola scare as woman from Sierra Leone held at Scottish immigration removal centre undergoes tests for killer disease after falling ill
- 00:10McBusted star Danny Jones flashes his six-pack as he lounges with bikini-clad wife Georgia on romantic honeymoon in the Maldives
- 23:30Russia and Finland pledge to seek ceasefire, dialogue in Ukraine
- 23:23EU Council asks third countries not to replace European food on Russian market
- 23:08EU confirms Russia-EU-Ukraine meeting to be held on September 12
- 22:45Russia’s Noskov takes bronze in men’s 50 km walk at 2014 European Athletics
- 22:41Russian, Ukrainian FMs discuss humanitarian aid to south-east Ukraine — Russia FM
- 22:29Levon Hayrapetyan to stay under arrest
- 22:01Armen Yeritsyan excited about prospect of having International Seismological Centre in Garni
- 17:52Over 1 million tourists visited Armenia in 2013
- 17:46Levon Hayrapetyan felt bad during court hearing, hearing was adjourned
- 17:18Eleven Ukrainian servicemen killed in last 24 hours — Security Council
- 16:52Ukraine can accept relief aid only from Red Cross — Yatsenyuk
- 16:49Sharapova tops Forbes list of world's highest-paid female athletes
- 16:46Ordnance explosion kills five in Gaza, one of them AP journalist
- 16:45EU gas production decline to reach 43% in next 12 years
- 16:41Russians back Putin on Ukraine policy — opinion survey
- 17:31Best warplanes and helicopters of Russia's Air Force
- 17:28Russia to start building 6 stadiums for 2018 FIFA World Cup in August-September
- 17:23Luhansk to be final point for aid convoy — Donetsk Republic vice-premier
- 17:20Russia’s economy ministry to keep inflation forecast unchanged for 2014
- 17:02Ukrainian Rada adopts package of sanctions against Russia
- 15:42'Heartbroken': Tributes flood in for Oscar winning actor Robin Williams who had not been seen in public for three weeks after stint in rehab for 'severe depression' before he committed suicide
- 17:18Escalating tensions with Russia threaten eurozone recovery — Financial Times
- 15:13President Serzh Sargsyan left on a short vacation
- 14:20Military operation in eastern Ukraine: recent developments
- 14:09Second 72-hour ceasefire takes effect early Monday
- 14:04Russian smartphone maker Yota Devices to relocate to Canada
- 13:55Karabakh conflict regulation talks conducted over Kazan document
- 13:52It would be insulting for Armenians as well, if it turned out that Erdoğan is Armenian: Armenia's
- 13:48Hackers spread false information about Ebola virus outbreak in US
- 13:47Russian Public Chamber asks Red Cross to organize humanitarian corridors in Ukraine
- 09:08Russian and foreign inspectors to make TOS observation flights
- 17:26Meeting of Armenian and Russian Presidents kicks off in Sochi
- 16:29Putin and Aliyev discuss Karabakh conflict issue in Sochi
- 15:32Aliyev must explain the meaning of Azerbaijan’s military adventurism: Narek Nikoghosyan
- 12:30Azerbaijan expresses readiness to hold trilateral meeting in Sochi
- 17:54'Nashville we got our BANGERZ on!' Lily Allen posts video of her and Miley Cyrus cavorting on stage during rendition of Not Fair
- 17:14Ukraine has right to impose 26 types of sanctions against Russia
- 16:59Donetsk children with serious diseases arrive in Moscow
- 16:59 Azerbaijani MOD reports about death of Armenian captive
- 15:52Iraqi Kurdistan defense forces resume fighting with Islamic State group
- 14:12A chic companion: Jenna Coleman wears sophisticated black and white dress to the London premiere of Doctor Who
- 13:12Australian premier promises tougher sanctions on Russia
- 13:00Ukraine national bank ceases transactions in militia-controlled areas
- 12:59Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says the exodus of players from the Emirates Stadium is over
- 12:46Ukraine's PM Yatsenyuk to present package of anti-Russia measures
- 12:40East Ukraine militias claim seizing large arsenals from defeated army force
- 12:35Medvedev signs order banning anonymous Wi-Fi
- 12:32Gaza truce over, radicals fire missiles at Israel
- 18:10Innovative Approach To Yoga Burns More Calories Than Jogging
- 17:37 The Armenian side suffered no losses
- 17:29The Situation on the Frontline
- 17:07Bulletproof Your Body Against Life-Debilitating Illnesses By Eating Right
- 16:02Paperwork that shows George really is ready to tie the knot: Couple post their official wedding banns in London
- 14:58European space probe reaches comet after 10-year journey
- 13:55Police allegedly forced female fans to strip naked before football match in Russia
- 12:58Russia's retaliation to deepen isolation, damage economy - U.S. National Security Council
- 12:16No progress in Hamas-Israel truce prolongation talks
- 10:34USS Vella Gulf enters Black Sea — US Navy
- 09:52Brazil poultry exporters ready to replace US on Russian market
- 09:50Over 900 die from Ebola virus disease in West Africa
- 09:48Putin, Merkel discuss Ukraine crisis
- 18:02Who needs Cowell? Cheryl Fernandez-Versini 'is booed' at X Factor auditions… as she plays Ms Nasty in Simon's place
- 17:32The Situation on the Frontline
- 16:59That's why they say mind the gap... Commuters manage to free man wedged between a train and platform by lifting the carriage off his leg
- 16:49Israel arrests Palestinian suspected of being involved in murder of three Israeli teens
- 16:39Defense Minister Shoigu asks peacekeepers to brush up their foreign languages
- 16:06Russia’s heavyweight Povetkin to face off Cameroon’s Takam this fall
- 15:12$10 million government funds for Ukraine refugees in Russian regions
- 15:04Europe, Russia want gas market out of sanction discussion — PM
- 15:00Russia not plan new deals on drones with Israel
- 14:56Russia might stop some charter flights from EU
- 12:56Armenian Armed Forces prevented over 20 subversive acts during last days
- 12:31The attack aviation of our Armed Forces is carrying out flights along the contact line
- 18:14'He wasn't there for her': Ariana Grande and Jai Brooks split amid claims he let her down when her grandfather died
- 17:22Foreign Office minister Baroness Warsi quits in protest at 'morally indefensible' government policy on Gaza
- 16:18Self-proclaimed Luhansk on verge of ecological catastrophe
- 14:39Russia-US Launch Services JV to halve launches, lay off quarter of personnel
- 14:35Russian-Japanese consultations postponed after new Tokyo sanctions
- 14:32Switzerland includes 26 more people in sanctions list against Russia
- 14:29Number of internally displaced persons in Ukraine reaches 117,000
- 14:25Dynamo Moscow signs 3-year contract with French footballer Valbuena
- 14:23Another Russian travel agency collapses, 500 tourists stranded abroad